Visit to Batam Island
Batam is a small but busy island in Indonesia of 45 square km and nearly a million people, hundreds of multinational owned factories, towns, shopping centres and gateway to the Riau Islands. Batam Island is a most wanted destination for those seeking relaxing and unique experience among Asian's lands. Luxurious beach resorts, wild nature and great seafood to name a few of the attractive features of Batam Island.
Located only 20km from Singapore and 25km from Johor in Malaysia, this strategic position makes it easily accessible by air and water and thus a desired tourist and business destination. So Batam Island become an industrial hub with electronics factories, a large and growing ship repair industry and an even larger oil service sector. Quite a few experts head there for work, and pubs and golf courses have sprung up to serve them.
Situated on the equator, Batam as the whole Indonesia has a typical equatorial climate. East and West monsoons change the humidity by bringing dry air between June and September and occasional rains from December through March. The weather is constant and change with only a few degrees throughout the whole year. The average temperatures vary between 23-28oC and consequently the ideal time to visit the island would depend on your personal plans and free time.
The official language on the island is Indonesian, but due to the sizeable Chinese population, Chinese dialects like Teochew and Mandarin are somewhat widely spoken.
Local languages are also used by the residents who come from other areas, such as language Minang, Batak language, Java language, the language of Makassar, and also the Chinese language. This happens because Batam is a place where various tribes meet.
Where to Stay
• Golden View Hotel Batam
, Jl. Bengkong Laut, Tel. +62-778 771 7777, Fax. +62-778 771 7000
A Four-Star hotel in Batam ideally located at Bengkong Laut, with the natural beauty of overlooking sea view and situated the hotel is just only 45 minutes away from Singapore.
• Holiday Inn Resort Batam, Waterfront City, Tel. +62-778 381333, Fax. +62-778 381332
Holiday Inn Resort Batam offers all suites accommodation and world-class facilities to meet the needs of both leisure and business guests.
• Panorama Regency Hotel, Jalan Raja Haji, Tel. +62-778 452888, Fax. +62-778 450113
Panorama Regency Hotel in Nagoya Batam Indonesia is a four star hotel equipped and elegant decorated to meet our clients needs with modern amenities and facilities for business and leisure.
• Planet Holiday Hotel, Jalan Raja Haji, Tel. +62-778 433555, Fax. +62-778 433777
The Planet Holiday Hotel in Batam offers quality accommodations and world-class facilities to meet the needs of both business and leisure guests.
What to Do
Batam Island is a great place for relaxing so don’t missed this chance...
is a recreational activity where a person is towed behind a vehicle (usually a boat) while attached to a specially designed parachute, known as a parasail. The boat then drives off, carrying the parascender into the air. If the boat is powerful enough, two or three people can parasail behind it at the same time. The parascender has little or no control over the parachute.
• Cable skiing is a way to water ski (or wakeboard), where the skier's rope and handle are pulled by an electrically driven cable, where as traditionally a waterskier is being pulled by a motorboat. This cable is actually two cables running parallel to one another with carriers between them. The carriers are metal plates with hooks on them which allow the tow rope to be attached and detached easily without shutting the system down. The cable is generally suspended 15-20 feet (5-7m) off of the water.
• Go-Karting is a variant of open-wheel motor sport with simple, small four-wheeled vehicles called karts, go-karts, or gearbox/shifter karts depending on the design. They are usually raced on scaled-down circuits. Karting is commonly perceived as the stepping stone to the higher and more expensive ranks of motorsports.
• Cycling is the use of bicycles, as a means of transport, a form of recreation or a sport. It is done on roads and paths, across open country or even over snow and ice (icebiking).
• Jet Ski is a small motorized water craft with a flattish hull and an upright centre, which a rider sits astride.
• Horseback Riding is use horses for practical, working purposes as well as recreational activities and competitive sports.
• Ultra Light Air Craft is an aircraft with a maximum gross takeoff weight of less than 600 kilograms (1320 pounds) for aircraft designed to operate from land, 649 kilograms (1,430 pounds) for seaplanes; a maximum airspeed in level flight of 120 knots (222 km/h); a maximum stall speed of 45 knots (83 km/h); either one or two seats; fixed undercarriage and fixed-pitch or ground adjustable propeller; and a single electric motor or reciprocating engine, which includes diesel engines and Wankel engines.
• Canoeing is the activity of paddling a canoe for the purpose of recreation (also called a float trip), sport, or transportation. It usually refers exclusively to using a paddle to propel a canoe with only human muscle power.
• Bungee jumping is an activity that involves jumping from a tall structure while connected to a large elastic cord. The tall structure is usually a fixed object, such as a building, bridge or crane; but it is also possible to jump from a movable object, such as a hot-air-balloon or helicopter, that has the ability to hover over one spot on the ground. The thrill comes as much from the free-falling as from the rebounds.
Where to Go
• Batam City Square (BCS) Mall,
Batam Island Mall building growths never stop. So there are few new malls, like Mega Mall, Nagoya Hill, and the BCS Penuin malls in the region. And there is a Citra Mall in the port area of international Harbor Bay is in the progress. Each mall have their own character and visitors. For example, BCS Mall, the majorities of visitors are Chinese which placed 400m away from Top 100 malls. BCS can hold out without the tenant that could bring the traffic of visitors such as Hypermart and Cinemas. There is some place that always crowded like Gramedia, JC Supermarket that quite popular and some place for hangouts such as Godiva, Breeks.
• Mega Mall is located near the seaport International, a lure for Singapore tourists. Almost every Saturday and Sunday, the mall is crowded by Singapore tourists. There is a bridge crossing from the port to the mall without fear affected hot sun or rain. The mall also provides free Bus for visitors who want to specific hotel, so they also can carry the hotel guests who want to return to Singapore through the port of Batam Center. Several large tenants here are Hypermart, Matahari Dept Store, Studio XXI, Excelso Coffee, Pizza Hut, Breadtalk, Donat Jco, A&W, and other local tenant.
• Nagoya Hill Mall is a mall that most crowded in Batam Island. This mall is located in the center of the Nagoya. This mall is facilitated of 21 cinemas, a large Foodcourt with city walk style with various restaurants such as KFC, Seafood, Ayam Penyet, Fisherman, Fatmawati Fried Chicken, Mok toast, My Noodle, A & W, Solaria, Godiva coffee, and more. Some of the tenant that makes Nagoya Hill crowded is Matahari, Hypermart, and Ace Hardware.
• Top 100 Jodoh or Penuin, one of the cheap shopping can be found in the Jodoh, near Nagoya. Compared with the huge Mall, Top 100 Jodoh is more targeting to the middle to fix the price of the cheaper and affordable. This place was quite when the incursion of the big malls such as Batam DC Mall, Mega Mall and Nagoya Hill. The types of goods sold are the same, even the price are cheaper.
• Diamond City (DC) Mall, Batam’s mall with a large variety of shops, which carry a range items, such as children’s clothes, shoes, bags, perfume, and more.
• Lucky Plaza (Handphone sales center) If there is a hand phone sales center in Jakarta, Roxxi Mas, there is a Lucky Plaza in Batam Island. This plaza full of hand phone seller who sells used hand phone, new hand phone, plus exchange, voucher and accessories here. Some shops around this plaza start selling hand phone that strengthen the position of this area become a center of hand phone trade in this island. In addition there are few Gold traders, some electronic and clothing stores.
• Mymart (Computer sales center)
• SP Plaza
• Panbil Mall located in the Industrial Area in the region Mukakuning. The main tenant, which operates in the Mall Panbil is the Ramayana Department Store retail which dominate approximately 50% of the space Panbil Mall, which has three floors. In addition to the Ramayana tenant-tenant is the other large foreign KFC franchises class international, Kharisma Book Store, Juwis Optical, etc.
What to See
Most of the attractions that the island of Batam has to offer to its visitors include fine beach resorts, natural wilderness, breathtaking landscape and exotic nightlife. Apart from the typical luxury, however, there exist several places that are among the landmarks of the island and are worth visiting.
• Maha Vihara Duta Maitreya Buddhist Temple
is a major attraction in Batam as being one of the biggest Buddhist temples in South-East Asia. Located in Batam Centre the temple hosts one statues of Buddha as well as two other statues of the Goddess of Mercy. There is a souvenirs shop and a restaurant within the temple's district.
• Mesjid Raya (Raya Mosque), beautiful mosque in Batam island.
• Melur Beach, very nature beach in Batam.
• Wihara Budhi Bhakti Temple is a typical Chinese temple in the town of Nagoya. At present it is used by the locals for their daily prayers and religious rituals.
• The magnificence of 6 Barelang Highway Bridges is actually a chain of bridges that connect the islands of Batam. The view from all of them is magnificent and many tourists visit the bridges exactly for the sake of aesthetics and in order to take some pictures of the nature on the island.
• Vietnamese Refugee Village can be visited for free in Pulau Galang. It was the home to many Vietnamese refugees who escaped from their county between 1972 and 2001 and sought shelter in Batam. The Indonesian government allowed them to live in the region, where they developed their own town by building a school, hospital, cemetery and temples. What is left of their lifestyle can still be seen almost intact in the area.
• Holiday resorts on Nongsa Beach,Nongsa is another gateway of Batam. Lots of resorts, hotels, marinas, golf courses can be found here. Batam View Resort, Turi Beach Resort and Puri Jaya Resort are situated here too. Tering Bay and Palm Spring Golf course and Batam's Hang Nadim International airport are not too far from Nongsa.
• Waterfront City is among the nicest resort areas on Batam Island. It is situated on the west coast and it mainly attracts visitors from Singapore. The resort is famous not only for its beaches but also for the variety of sports and water sports that are available there, including water skiing, bungee-jumping and many others. Most of the hotels offer spa treatment and massages that continue to astonish their guests.
Where to Eat
Batam has plenty of eating out choices, including great Chinese seafood in the outdoor food courts, such as the Windsor and Nagoya Food Courts and A1 Pujasera.
• Try Golden Prawn Seafood Restaurant at Bengkong Laut, where serve hundreds of top dishes with variety choices, like: Steam Fish, Steam Prawn, Black Pepper Crab, Deep Fried Cutter Fish, Hot Plate To Fu, Fried Flower Crab With Chilly, Fried Kangkung, Soup Seafood, Steam Rice, Black Garoupe Steam, Chilly Cutter Fish, Deep Fried Chicken, Fried Baby Kaylan, Fish Mod Soup and so much more.
• Rumah Makan Rasa Rasa at Nagoya, their special menu are traditional Grilled Fish, Roasted Chicken, Grilled Cuttlefish, Kangkung Belacan, Asam Pedas, Rojak Betis, Pepes Pari, Chicken Soup, and more.
• Seafood Rezeki Restaurant, is located in the Batu Besar Nongsa, Batam Island with a beautiful sea view and the cool sea breeze accompanied by the various servings of seafood catered for people of all ages.
• Fatmawati Fried Chicken serves food that can be selected before fried in the kitchen. There are yellow chicken flavour, empal, jeroan, fermented soybean, soybean curd, lalapan and various condiments.
Batam, with its good ferry connections, is an excellent springboard to the other Riau Islands such as the capital Tanjung Pinang and Bintan Island and the Sumatra mainland. Good air connections also make Batam a good place to get cheap air tickets to Jakarta and other parts of Indonesia.
• The country code for Indonesia is 62. The area code for Batam is 778. To call Singapore from Wartel phone shop, please dial 007-65 follow by the phone no.
• The General Post office (known as kantor pos in Bahasa Indonesia) is located at Batam Center, not far from the ferry terminal.